What Is Mental Health and Wellness?
World Health Organization defined health as “a state of complete physical, mental and social well-being and not merely the absence of disease or infirmity.” Mental health is a state of total wellbeing physically, psychologically, socially and spiritually. It affects how we think, feel and act. A positive mental health helps us to handle stress/stressor in a positive mindset. It helps us to relates with others in a more cordial and understandable manners.
Mental health issues are influenced by:
- biological factors like genes or brain damage;
- life experience (as a result of abusive or traumatic experience like rape, domestic violence, loss of loved one or fortune); and,;
- history of one’s family (that is, if there was a case of mental disorder in your family).
Early Warning Signs of Mental Health Disorder
If there is someone you know or you noticed that experience some or all of the following signs consistently for more than two days, please seek professional help. Talk to our Counsellors: (help link).
- Experiencing low or no energy.
- Withdrawing from friends, family, colleagues and daily activities (stop relating with people as usual).
- Experiencing sudden aches and pains continuously.
- Eating disorder (eating too much or very little).
- Sleeping disorder (not able to sleep or sleeping too much).
- Feeling helpless and hopeless.
- Losing interest in activities that’s usually appealing to you.
- Losing weight suddenly or adding excessive weight)
- Having nonchalant attitudes towards things that should have given you great concern (living in denial).
- Thinking, talking and seeing things negatively (pessimistic)
- Always feeling confused, disappointed or rejected
- Always forgetting important appointment, assignment or task.
- Always getting irritated, angry or sad over every little thing.
- Always being defensive, worried and scared.
- Always yelling, abusing and fighting with everyone.
- Consistent mood swing (momentarily excitement and sad mood).
- Hearing strange destructive voices or voices best on false hope
- Having delusion thought or false hope.
- Not able to perform daily routine task like bathing, taking care of spouse or children, going to work or school.
- Having suicidal thoughts.
- Trying to harm oneself or others.
Signs of Positive Mental Health
Positive mental health allows people to:
- Realize their full potentials.
- Cope with the stress/stressors.
- Work productively.
- Make meaningful contribution to their work, family, relationships and communities.
- Live happily, hopeful and fulfilled lifestyle.
- Ability to help others joyfully.
Ways to Maintain Positive Mental Health
- Spiritual connectivity.
- Getting professional help from professional trained counsellor or psychologist.
- Connecting with family and others (friendly environment).
- Staying positive (even in a negative environment).
- Being optimistic and enthusiastic about life..
- Staying around enthusiastic, focus and optimistic people
- Getting physically active – exercise
- Serving others by helping them succeed.
- Getting enough sleep
- Developing coping skills (we can help you achieve it).